Welcome to Oestrus’ Guide to the Chakra Sutra, which has been recently updated to reflect the large amount of changes that have been made to Chakra since the release of Cataclysm and with the soon to be released patch 4.3.
Holy priests have always been excited about and really intimidated by or possibly even overwhelmed by Chakra. I think it is something that people are capable of over thinking about and I think it is something that is really easy for someone to talk themselves in circles over. I don’t feel it necessarily has to be that way.
This guide will be updated as changes occur and as new feedback is given. While I have worked hard to bring the most current information that I can, there are undoubtedly things I may have missed or things that may change in the future. Hopefully, this can be updated to keep up with these changes and can remain a valuable resource, at any given time
The basic format of the guide will consist of a general fact sheet about Chakra, followed by a breakdown of each state. I will cover the finer points of each Chakra state, including the benefits of being in it, details about how your spells will work while in the state and examples of fights where you may find that particular Chakra most useful. At the end of the guide I will cover some Frequently Asked Questions and suggest some macros for you to make using Chakra easier.
You can find the original Guide to the Chakra Sutra here.
What is Chakra?
1. Chakra is a 20 point talent in the holy tree that allows a priest to enter a state where certain abilities are enhanced, depending on which Chakra state the priest chooses to enter.
2. Chakra is put into effect by casting the spell and then one of eight additional spells immediately after it, thereby putting you into that particular state.
* Heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal or Binding Heal will put you into Chakra: Serenity
* Prayer of Healing or Prayer of Mending will place you into Chakra: Sanctuary
* Smite or Mind Spike will put you into Chakra: Chastise
3. Placing a talent point in Revelations will allow Chakra to change the effects of Holy Word: Chastise to compliment whatever state you are in. The tooltip graphic will also reflect that this change has occured.
* Holy Word: Serenity — Chakra: Serenity
* Holy Word: Sanctuary — Chakra: Sanctuary
* Chakra: Chastise is the only state that does not change your Holy Word: Chastise
4. Chakra does not limit or restrict what spells you can cast while in a state. For example, you could still use Shadow Word: Death if you were in Chakra: Sanctuary or Flash Heal if you were in Chakra: Chastise. It only takes spells that you already have and makes them more effective or slightly changes their effects.
5. Chakra now lasts until canceled, which is a buff from its previous one minute duration. However, if you go into the wrong Chakra by mistake or you need to change into another one (due to the particular needs of your situation) you would need to wait for it to be off cooldown before you could change your Chakra state again.
6. Chakra does not use a global cooldown, so you can make a macro for each state you would want to enter and make it more efficient to use that way.
7. Chakra does not cost any mana to cast, but the spells you would cast immediately after it still cost mana to use.
1. Increases the critical strike chance of all healing spells by 10%
2. All direct heals will refresh the duration of a Renew already present on the target.
* Instantly heals your target for 5198 to 6100 and increases the critical strike chance of your healing spells on the target by an additional 25% for 6 seconds. Has a 7 second cooldown, with points taken in Tome of Light.
* The direct heal from Holy Word: Serenity can crit and will trigger your mastery.
4. Ideal for situations where you are tank healing or single target healing.
1. Increases the healing done by AOE healing spells and Renew by 15%
* This includes Circle of Healing, Divine Hymn, Holy Nova, Holy Word: Sanctuary and Prayer of Healing.
2. Reduces the cooldown of Circle of Healing by 2 seconds.
* Targets a zone to become a sanctuary and heals those standing inside of it for 299 to 355 every 2 seconds for 18 seconds. Has a diminished effect when healing more than 6 players at once. Currently has a 28 second cooldown, with 2 points in Tome of Light.
* Despite not being a direct heal, the healing effects of this spell will activate your mastery.
* Allies must remain in the zone to receive the full effect of the sanctuary. If they step out of it for any reason, they will instantly stop receiving heals.
* The heals from Holy Word: Sanctuary do have a chance to crit.
4. Ideal for healing through widespread raid damage, preferably with people grouped up.
* Valiona & Theralion
1. Increases all damage done by your holy and shadow spells by 15%
* Remains unchanged by this Chakra.
3. Ideal for leveling purposes, during burn phases on boss fights or periods where little healing is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can Chakra be dispelled off of me?
A: No. Currently, Chakra cannot be removed by Dispel Magic, Purge, Spellsteal or any other offensive type dispel from an opposing player or enemy.
Q: Can Chakra be cast on other players?
A: No. Chakra can only be cast on yourself, not other priests or other allies.
Q: Are there any glyphs that benefit Chakra?
A: Not specifically. However, glyphs that you already have enabled that would enhance spells that are part of a Chakra state (like Circle of Healing) will stack with the benefits of being in that particular Chakra.
For example, if you were using Glyph of Prayer of Healing you would still enjoy the additional 20% of the intial heal bonus that comes with using the glyph, along with the 15% increased AOE healing bonus provided by Chakra: Sanctuary. Being in a Chakra state does not take away or override the benefits your glyphs would give you for a particular spell or ability.
Q: Should I place talent points into Tome of Light?
A: Yes. As of right now, you want the reduced cooldown on your Holy Word spells, because they are still quite long and you want to make sure you are getting the full benefits of being in a Chakra state by having the option of having these spells available when you need them. Placing points into Tome of Light will also help you with getting the most out of our 4 piece T13 bonus, which reads:
Your Power Word: Shield has a 10% chance to absorb 100% additional damage and increase the mana granted by Rapture by 100%, and the duration of your Holy Word abilities is increased by 33%.
How the 4 piece T13 bonus will affect you:
The duration of the Critical Strike chance buff that you can place on a target with Holy Word: Serenity will last for 8 seconds instead of 6 seconds. This will now overlap with the 7 second cooldown of the spell itself, provided that you have 2 points in Tome of Light. You can now have the buff up on your target at all times, provided you are using Holy Word: Serenity on cooldown.
The duration of the healing effect from Holy Word: Sanctuary will last for 24 seconds, up from the current 18 second duration.
In my opinion, the 4 piece bonus will make Holy Word: Sanctuary more valuable, as you will get at least three extra ticks worth of healing. Since Holy Word: Sanctuary doesn’t begins healing until 2 seconds after you drop it, you would receive ticks at the 2 second mark, the 4 second, the 6 second mark, and so on and so forth. Under normal circumstances, people standing in a Sanctuary zone would receive 9 ticks of healing, which would stop at the 18 second mark. With the 4 piece bonus, and the duration of your Sanctuary being extended to 24 seconds, you would receive 3 additional ticks of healing at the 20 second mark, the 22 second mark, and the 24 second mark.
As always, much appreciation and thanks to Kurn, for helping me create these macro suggestions for the various Chakra states that are available, for spending a good chunk of time creating sanctuary zones in Dalaran with me and for helping me test out other spells for this guide.
The first thing you will want to do is set your binding and then paste in one of the following macros. Repeat the process for each one that you would like to have bound.
/cast [target=mouseover] Heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal or Binding Heal
/cast [target=mouseover] Prayer of Healing or Prayer of Mending
/cast [@mouseovertarget] Smite or Mind Spike
1. The Chakra: Chastise macro assumes that you are mousing over someone who is friendly, but who is targeting something that is hostile.
Thank you very much for reading and hopefully this guide will take away some of the confusion surrounding Chakra and make it seem much more enjoyable and easier to understand than it may have been before.
(Additional thanks go out to Darista, for coming up with the tongue in cheek title for this guide and also to “Mirzolot2” from Wikipedia, for creating the beautiful Chakra images that were used here, which are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0 Unproted License.)